Water Utility Assistance

  • Home
  • Water Utility Assistance

Local assistance to help with paying your water bills

Water usage costs continue to rise, and our continuing drought doesn’t help matters. If you’re falling behind on your bills, CAPK’s Energy Programs may be able to help you pay for your water or wastewater bills through our Water Utility Assistance program.

Water Utility Assistance can help pay past due water bills accrued during any time frame. There is no date restriction for when the overdue amount occurred.

How does the Water Assistance program work?

Our Energy Programs team works to make the process as simple as possible for you. Once you submit a completed application with all required documentation, we review your application to determine which programs you’re eligible for. After reviewing your application, we work to ensure you receive the most assistance possible. Water Assistance is usually paid within 8 weeks directly to your water company.

Households that qualify could reduce their water or wastewater charges, or both if their bills include both services, by up to $2,000.

What documents are required to apply for Water Utility Assistance?

Your application must include a completed Water Intake Form (CSD41) and Landlord Verification Form (CSD040).

You must also submit the following documentation:

Proof of Household Income

  • Proof of income from all household members or proof of participation in CalFresh or CalWORKs, or proof you have received utility bill assistance in the past 120 days.

Utility Bill

  • Copy of water or wastewater bill indicating past due balance or property tax bill if past-due water or wastewater bills can be identified.

A household with water or wastewater utilities included in rent must be past due on their rent. The following documentation is required:

  • Copy of signed landlord agreement confirming the landlord-tenant relationship and that water and/or wastewater utilities are included in rent, the number of months the tenant is past due, and the amount of water and/or wastewater utilities past due.
    Copy of water and/or
  • wastewater utility bill for services provided to the rental property occupied by the renter applicant.

Make an appointment
to see if you qualify for Water Utility Assistance

To find out if you qualify for assistance with your water bills, call 2-1-1. There’s no cost to see if you qualify, and any assistance you receive doesn’t have to be paid back.