Frequently Asked Questions

What is the CAPK Energy Program?

The CAPK Energy Program is a free program that assists income-eligible residents with utility bills payments, weatherization and energy education, all at no cost to the participants. The program has two main parts: Home Energy Assistance Program (Utility Assistance) and Weatherization (Energy Efficiency).

What is HEAP (Utility Assistance)?

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) provides free utility assistance to eligible applications to help pay for their current and past due electricity, gas and propane bills. Payments are made directly to your utility company.

What is weatherization?

Weatherization is a free service that helps make your home more energy efficient. Energy efficient homes use less energy and can help reduce your monthly energy costs.

What are the application requirements?

To be eligible for utility assistance or weatherization services , applicants must:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or Legal and Permanent Resident
  • Be a Kern County resident
  • Provide proof of income
  • Possess a valid California Drivers License or I.D. and a Social Security Card
How can I apply for assistance?

There are three simple ways to apply for assistance from CAPK’s Energy Program:

  1. Call 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment or request an application be mailed out
  2. Visit to download and print the application materials
  3. Pick up or drop off an application at the CAPK Energy Program offices at 300 19th Street in downtown Bakersfield.

Apply Today,
Before Funds Run Out

Funds for CAPK’s Energy Programs are limited each year. Apply today to find out if you qualify for Utiltiy Assistance or Energy Efficiency Upgrades that don’t have to be paid back, so you can afford your home energy costs.